Saturday, February 09, 2008

Annabel Karmel


Annabel Karmel Baby



So I guess it has been a while since I have posted! I guess life has not been very exciting lately! I have been meaning to do a post about this awesome author/chef for a while now. I know most of my friends already know about my obsession with Annabel Karmel. I think she is so great! Anyone who has a family with small children should check her out for sure, especially if your family has some of the eating issues my family has. I have her books the Complete Party Planner and Top 100 Baby Purees and there are 4 others that I am excited to get. I love them both. I am not a super earthy person or anything, but I can not wait to make my own baby foods with the next baby (whenever that may be). I love her ideas to puree food, freeze it in ice cube trays and put it in baggies until you need it. I love how healthy this sounds for babies. The other thing that I love about her books is her creativity when it comes to children's meals and getting them to help in the kitchen. I hope you guys like her as much as I have!
www.annabelkarmel.com





Peach Apple Strawberry Puree

This is a delicious puree to make when peaches and strawberries are in season. A good way to thicken fruit purees is to stir in some baby rice. Choose a variety that has no added sugar. This baby food recipe also combines well with mashed banana

Strawberries contain more vitamin C than other berry fruits. 100g of strawberries will give an adult almost twice the daily- recommended amount. They are also a good source of fibre and betacarotene

To skin peaches, score a cross on the base using a sharp knife, then submerge in boiling water for one minute. Drain and the skin should peel away easily.




Ingredients

1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tbsp apple juice or water
115g/4oz ripe strawberries, hulled
1 ripe peach, skinned, stoned and sliced
1 tbsp baby rice

Method:

Put the chopped apple into a saucepan with 2 tbsp water or apple juice. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the strawberries and peaches and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Blend until smooth and stir in the baby rice.

Information:
From 6 months
Suitable for freezing
MAKES 3 PORTIONS


Jelly Boats

These jelly boats are one of the most popular party foods that I make. Everyone is intrigued to find out how they are made and even the sails are edible!

Don’t attach the rice paper sails until serving the jelly boats or they may start to turn soggy.


Ingredients

4 large oranges, halved
2 x 135g packets of jelly such as raspberry, strawberry, peach, orange or lime – choose two colours
4 sheets edible rice paper
16 cocktail sticks

Method:

With a sharp knife remove the inside flesh of the oranges and carefully scrape out the membrane, taking care not to make a hole in the skin of the oranges. Make up the jelly (gelatin) but follow the instructions using only half the amount of water as you will need a more concentrated jelly (gelatin) to hold its shape. Fill each of the hollow orange halves with jelly (gelatin) right to the top.

If you like, you can place them in muffin or bun trays to keep them steady. Refrigerate until set and then trim the orange halves so that the skin of the oranges is level with the jelly (gelatin). Cut the oranges in half again with a sharp knife. Cut triangles out of the rice paper and secure with cocktail sticks (toothpicks) to make sails.

Information:
MAKES 16 BOATS















6 comments:

Miller Family said...

I will have to invest in some of her books. I haven't ever heard of her. I know Jerry Seifeld's wife did the whole "trick your kids into eating healthy" thing, and my friend loves her book. Is Elle already a picky eater?

JR and Brynn said...

Thanks for the cute ideas. These are awesome! You are so cute and creative.

Sonnie and Ryan said...

Sounds like a good idea, although, finding the time to make all of my own baby food sounds like the hardest part! I will look this author up though!

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing. Those are some great ideas!

SallyJ1314 said...

I LOVE Annabel! In my on going search for All-Things-Annabel, I came across video of her talking about her latest book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPK1AwrIyo

Enjoy.

Joy said...

I love her books! I especially love the photos! btw, I found you're blog when I googled her name. :)