Tuesday, June 10, 2008

China

Jeff recently had the incredible opportunity of visiting China and volunteering with a group from the LDS Academy of Dentists. His experience was fantastic, he was able to serve in an underprivileged area near Beijing called Suqian. While volunteering, he mostly worked on children's teeth from a nearby orphanage, which was his favorite part. He also went into some schools where they taught the children about caring for their teeth. He was able expand on some of the things he has learned this past year, working for an oral surgeon. He assisted in root canals, filled cavities, did sealants and also did some extractions. They were able to travel the last couple days. They were able to see where the Beijing Olympics were going to be, The Forbidden City, The Great Wall and some other neat places.

I am going to attempt to explain some of these pictures, I am sure Jeff will come home and want to change a few things though. These first two pictures are signs that were placed all over the city welcoming the 23 dental experts from the United States. Jeff had no idea what a big deal this was until he got there and saw banners and billboards all over the city welcoming them. They also had a large welcoming ceremony (part of the ceremony Jeff video taped and is at the end of the pictures).









The view from Jeff's hotel window.

Jeff with some of the kids he worked on from the orphanage.


In one of the class rooms. Instead of playing Simon says they played Yao Ming says.


The Great Wall



Tiananmen Square




15 comments:

Sonnie and Ryan said...

哇!這麼好! 我喜懽這些照片! 应该 可已說是一個很好的经验! 謝謝你!中國是一個很好的地方! 我愛你們! ;)

Sonnie and Ryan said...

haha, it doesn't say anything too interesting...let me translate. "Wow! That is great! I like these pictures! I guess you could say it was a great experience! thanks. China is a really good place. love you guys! :)

Taryn said...

What a neat experience! I love "Yao Ming Says," that sounds like something a true basketball fan would come up with.

janine said...

Kelly -
I had so much fun catching up on your family...so cute! Yes, I am pregnant again...it's my plan for an early retirement...ha ha! This is it for me though...for a while or forever! I think 2 boys is going to be all I can handle. We actually live in Oregon now on a farm about 30 minutes outside of Portland. Have a good one!

nathan said...

wow, both trips I'm envious of. I hate that I missed you, I really do. You probably hate me too. What kind of a friend eh? You come all the way out here. I just have the biggest pit in my stomach because of it.
but anyway- you look amazing, and elle is so cute, I love the chicken video haha, Sydney liked watching them, a thousand time, as usual. I hope you are doing well. Love you lots!

darcie said...

Jeff must have stood out there! I'm glad he came home when he did.

janine said...

That's totally funny - our address is Hillsboro although we are about 7 miles outside. Small world hey?

gollyjess said...

Hey Kelly, this is Jessica Cooper-Leavitt-Clark. Remember, sophmore year--King Henry?! You guys look awesome and Jeff resembles a very tall Colin Firth, not too shabby. Love the post about poo-crib, can't wait for mine to do that...I'm sure I'll die.

Court and Britt said...

What a neat experience!! I would love to travel there someday.

k.young said...

What an awesome thing for him to be able to do!! That is incredible.

Christine said...

Wow, that is so cool. It looks like he had a good time. Kelly, I seriously had so much fun with you! You need to come back! You need to move back! You guys better stay with us if you ever come to visit. And I love Elle! She was the cutest thing ever.

Zappe Family said...

What I want to know is if everyone freaked out at how tall he is?? What a great experience for him!

Emily Jones said...

So now we really need to get together we can talk dentistry.
What does Jeff do for work,
is he interested in going to dental school?
I'm going to give you guys a call soon. I gotta go back and get your number from my blog
Fun pics of Adam and Darcie and their baby too!
Tell them Brandt and I said hi.

Laura Ginny said...

That is funny how tall he is with all the kids, and the other nurses.

Holly said...

hi there,

my daughter is in the suqian city orphanage. we are waiting for permission to go bring her home to our family here in virginia. i would LOVE to hear anything your husband can share about the orphanage. our daughter is 19 months old and has a cleft palate. i am wondering if she was even possibly seen by the LDS team that went there?

thanks,
holly huffman
hgdaisy@yahoo.com