Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Postpartum Crud

As my pregnancy half way mark has come and gone I have felt myself begin to worry and stress over some of the problems I ran into after I had Elle. A lot of you probably know about my postpartum issues. That was a really hard time for me because I did not understand what was going on with me. I felt the need to constantly explain myself and why I was sad, but did not really understand it myself. It was so foreign and weird for me to feel so down. I wanted my friends and family to understand something that I did not understand myself.
Before I had Elle, a girl at church had told me that she had had it after her first daughter was born and how awful it was for her. I remember trying to be sympathetic, and then coming home and telling Jeff how weird I thought it was. I was so excited to have kids and to start my family. How could you be sad after having a beautiful perfect baby? I just did not get it! Well I am a true believer that trials happen for a reason, to teach us something and then hopefully be able help someone else. I wish there was something more I could do to help others understand this, and maybe be more prepared if it ever happens to them or someone they love.
So on and on I go. Today I was watching Oprah (I love her), she had Gwyneth Paltrow on as her guest. She was not there to talk about postpartum depression but the subject came up. I was so excited to hear her definition of what it was. It was for sure the most healthy minded view I have ever heard on the issue. Short and sweet, but right on. Don't ask me why it made me so excited, but it did, enough that I wanted to post about it right then. I am so happy that it is something that people are wanting to talk about more and are not embarrassed to share. Also, that it is not just the crazy extreme examples that are being talked about. I tried to go onto oprah.com to find exactly what she had said about it, but could not. I am not sure if there is a way to watch the episode from the website. If I find a way I will post it. So you will have to settle for my script that I wrote as she was talking :) Yes, I liked it that much!
Gwyneth Paltrow
O: In Vogue a while back you talked about some depression you had had.

G: Yeah, Yeah I did. It was very strange because I was not expecting that, not that you would expect that. After I had Apple I would characterize that as post-natal euphoria, I was on cloud nine. Then when I had him (Moses) I just didn't feel okay, I didn't feel right. He came out and I just felt very strange, it was not the same. I didn't know what was wrong with me and I just went down this kind of slippery slope with it.

O: For how long?

G: About 6 months until I felt completely normal again. I did not realize what was wrong with me, I just thought i am not myself, I am not connnected. It was a bummer.

O: You felt like a flatline.

G: I felt like a flatline, I really did. I wish I had known because I would have gone on medication, I would have addressed it in some way or done something. It wasn't until I started coming out of it that I was able to see the comparison.

O: How did you come out of it?

G: I think it was just chemical, it just started lifting...I started exercising and recomitting to eating well...

AMEN! See we are not crazy, I feel so validated! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to know in case that happens to me. 3 more months - AHHHHH!!! I want to see pictures of your new place. Are you liking it?

The1stdaughter said...

Oh, you know you aren't crazy! I had some of the same problems and now am in the same boat. I wonder how it will be when I have two to take care of instead of one and if I can handle it all. Also I wonder if maybe it will be different this time around because I feel like since Jace I have a better grip on who I really am more than before. Who knows? We will just have to be there for each other!

I'm at 18 weeks and slowly feeling better. And we are now back in Virginia for our last year. Can't wait to see pictures of your new place!

The Good Life said...

I think the chemical change makes almost everyone feel off. I had baby blues for a couple months too but I think such a huge change from being so focused on ME and my pregnancy and my life to worrying about nothing but a baby was more of the reason than the chemical thing. I had never been so tired and so alone all day. Anyway when I learned to manage my body and my babies needs,the wonderful part started. Don't worry Kelly you are a great mom and Knowing what postpartum feels like, you will know how to deal with it if you need to. thanks for the honesty.

Sonnie and Ryan said...

Good for you for being so aware and on top of it so early in the game! I hope it goes better for you this time around,